DEACONS’ CORNER
I would like to
start with a sincere and heartfelt thank you to all of you who reached out to
comfort and console me over the loss of “My Boy”, Skippy. Those of you who knew
him know that he and I were pretty much joined at the hip. When he'd hear me
pick up the car key he'd jump up and give me that “am I going?” look...and he
usually did, just like all of the dogs who have graced my life up to now. On
occasion, I have been known to joke that, “I get along better with, and care
more for, most dogs than I do a lot of people”! That's because I don't just
'have a dog', we bond!
God has blessed
me with some of the most amazing dogs over the years and I bonded with and was
in awe of each of them for their individual traits, personalities and wonderful
souls. Skippy turned out to be all that each of his predecessors was and more!
In Genesis 1,
verse 28 God tells man to “... Have dominion over the fish of the seas, over
the birds of the air, and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
He was tasking us with the huge responsibility of caring for and overseeing the
entire animal world, a mandate that reveals the immensity and diversity of His
creation.
“How many are your works, Lord! In wisdom, you
made them all;
the earth is full of your creatures.” Psalm
104:24
Most everyone has a soft spot for some certain type of animal.
What we as humans should keep in mind is that WE are included in the
“creatures” that the earth is full of and, as such, God's plan for creation was
for us to also love and care for one another. As for Skippy, while losing him
was devastating, I am grateful to God for sending him to us, but because he was
one of His best creations, I'm sure he wanted him back!
The Deacons once again shared fellowship with our community
children by manning a booth at this year's Thistle Day festivities. We featured
games, crafts, giveaways and other activities for the kiddos. As with VBS we
were able to interact with and get to know children who may not attend our
church. Thanks to all who helped make this work so well again.
This month we will be addressing and sending our annual cards
and gifts to our college students and members serving in the military. Please
be sure that we have your student or military members' current contact information.
You can contact Brooke Burnham 802-342-6377 or the church office if you have
changes or additions.
And finally, please hang on to your loose change during the week
and FEED THE JUG on the ledge in McLean Hall . Those handfuls of coins add up
and allow us to minister to folks in temporary emergencies. Thank you for your
contributions.
“Let
all that you do be done in love.” 1 Corinthians 16:14
Tom Genovese for the Deacons